This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Monday, February 21

Medbourne Waxwings

15:00 on Sunday I was playing football with the lad next door in our cul-de-sac whilst my daughters were playing outside. I looked up to see a large flock of about 40 plus birds flying roof height down Vernier Crescent. I could hear a faint 'trilling' sound which made to pay more attention to the birds. Accompanying this noise as an ID feature I also noted shorter/stubbier head profiles (i.e. no long beak as on a Starling). Also they appeared lighter in colour in the dull grey of the afternoon skyline. Plus the flight just seemed more 'jerky'.
The continued on their journey over the roof tops and towards Grange Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment