This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Monday, June 28

Sunday evening 27th June - Milton Keynes

A night at home for once, so I thought I'd survey the local Brown Long-eared roost and keep an eye on the Noctule one also.
From 21:35 - 21:40, from my position, I counted a minimum of 17 Noctules leaving and heading north. No more by 21:46. I would imagine more had left the roost but were just undetectable from my position.
By now the Brown Long-ears would have been starting to come out. But none? I did notice 4 bats fly low over my position and off into the wood? Then at 21:50 another 2 did the same. I'm guessing they were Common Pips but not totally sure or where they were coming from? Anyway, no Brown Long-ears appeared from the usual roost? Then a Common Pip started feeding above me.
Then at 22:08 a bat flew towards the usual roost entrance, touched the front and dropped away again? Then another and another (or the same bat?). By 22:16 no bats had emerged from the roost - have they moved on? too hot in the roost? disturbed?
By 22:22 two Common Pips were feeding above my position.
I then started to set up my Skinner moth trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment