This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Thursday, December 16

Walton Balancing Lakes - Mr Beardie !

A lunch time visit to see if I could connect with one of the male Bearded Tits for the first time. Nothing for 10 minutes, so I strolled to the 2nd hide but this lake was frozen with nothing around at all. I went back to the platform and 5 minutes later directly ahead of me I picked out 1 male and 2 female Bearded Tits. I then tracked the pair at least coming towards me, they showed to about 10 feet and finally the pair flew behind me (over the board walk) and into the next section of reed. From here it was difficult to view as this screen does not have any slats cut in. But from peering around the end of it I could still make out the birds feeding and moving . They showed so well I even managed to see the male has a long metal ring on his right leg, but alas not letters/numbers showed. One squealing Water Rail, a Robin walking along the ice under the Bearded Tits and a fly over Herring Gull made up the rest.

1 comment:

  1. So it's an escape then. I'll scrub off my Bucks tick. I trust you'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete