This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Tuesday, October 12

Knot going to miss this one....

Oh the number of puns I could have used....
I had a text last night from Chris G at Manor Farm at 18:09, to say he'd found a KNOT feeding on the pools. It's a species of wader I'd never seen in Bucks in my brief time listing in the county. A call from Simon to advise he was going for a look made me drop everything...i.e getting the kids ready for bed etc and getting ready for my evenings football match. I informed the wife I would only be 30 minutes and back in time to continue with parental duties - I didn't hear any response as I ran out and slammed the door :-).
Now sunset was about 18:17 and it was already gone 18:30!
Normal ETA to The Manor is under 10 minutes and even with the evenings rush hour I pretty much did it in that, joyed by a call back from Simon along the way to say 'it's still showing, the main entrance gates are still open, you can use me scope'. Finally after a mad dash avoiding the cow pats I connected with Simon at the top of the slope and got my first views of the Knot. It was nearly 18:45 and getting really dark. Not the best views of Knot but really chuffed to finally bag this species in Bucks. Ahh the pleasure of deleting the species from my Bird Guides text list ;-)
Thanks to Chris for continuing with his 'patch' and Simon for the updates.
The birds still showing at Manor Farm today and hopefully some other Bucks listers will connect with this species today. The sites looking really good so who knows what else might get pulled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment