This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Tuesday, July 27

Twenty Minute Batting

This evening I checked if the local Noctule roost remained. From 21:15 to 21:35 I had at least 20 out over my house. I've really noticed a difference in their 'commuting' mainly because the amount of flying food has increased. Whereas before the bats would emerge and always head directly north - Monopoly style...Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect Insect Prey On Route, now they can head west, north west or north always swooping, diving and chasing after prey. The sound on the detector is amazing having 3 or 4+ bats at a time flying over your head in full attack.
Also tonight I had an undetected bat fly low over the back garden directly into the wood at 21:15 (14 minutes after sunset) So I decided to survey to the west from my garden but alas didn't pick up any more 'myotis' or other bats following it's predecessor. I'm guessing this bat and others previously seen using this flight path could be from my known Brown Long-eared roost (which was still empty this evening).
Then to finish off 2 Common Pipistrelles started feeding low right above my head - amazing to have these echolocation's intermingling with the sounds of the Noctules above them.
Not bad for twenty minutes surveying and I did even have any shoes on!
Just checking my note book and the first Noctule I recorded was way back on the 19th May.

1 comment:

  1. THought you was talking about the Northants innings last night.

    ReplyDelete