This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Tuesday, August 24

Linford Lakes at lunch time - Black-tailed Godwit

Took my telescope with me today. Did the usual rounds and still noted a few butterflies battling the stiff westerly. Also spotted a Water Shrew, which seemed smaller than previous encounters with this species. Lovely white ears noted. Guess it could have been a juvenile?
From Near Hide, I spotted a lone Little Grebe and 2 Little Egret. Then whilst scanning the 'crescent bay' I spotted a 'godwit' flushed from out of view and into the water. This then decided it had had enough and took off towards the hide. It flew along the bund showing large white wing bars, black wedge on rump, white tail with black bar across the end and toes sticking out, which secured it as a Black-tailed Godwit. It fought the wind and drifted off west towards Haversham. Duck and geese numbers seemed on the increase but everything was huddled down trying to get out of the wind. Final birds noted were 3 Sand Martins heading North West.

No comments:

Post a Comment