This blog is about all forms of wildlife I record around North Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes in particular. My main interests for 2012 will be looking for anything I've not seen before.

Thursday, September 2

Herfordshire last night - New Bat for me!

Last night I was invited to tag along with Matt and Hilary to visit Patty and Brian Briggs in Hertfordshire. The reason for our trip was to meet Algie a rescued Nathusius Pipistrelle. He'd originated from Essex and was suspected of been attacked by a Hobby. One of his wings was badly ripped with talon markings, he's now in the capable hands of Patty and Brian.
The three of us were very exited as we'd never seen this species before. Patty and Brian walked us through the special ID features for this species.
Nathusius Pipistrelle has been recorded across the country but in very small numbers. In fact, for Bucks, we only have one 'probable' recording of one flying at College Lake a few years back.
This represents my 39th mammal species this year ;)
Patty also showed us 'Daisy' a female Noctule who becomes very grumpy if she doesn't get half an hour of strokes on the back per night! (Daisy that is not Patty)
Massive thanks to Hilary and Matt for taking me along and also thanks to Patty and Brian for their hospitality.

With an hour plus each way through the countryside I was hoping we'd see some other mammals along the way. A dead Badger near Swanbourne was noted on the way down. A Brown Rat dashed across in front of us on the way back home, but that was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment